There are 2 versions of initial position:
Brandub is played on a board of 7x7 squares, with the central square and the corner squares marked.
There are 13 pieces: a king and his 4 defenders, and 9 attackers. These are placed in the shape of a cross.
The are two versions of Brandubh
- The attacking side takes the first move.
- Pieces move any distance orthogonally, not landing on nor jumping over other pieces on the board.
- No regular piece may land on the central square.
- Only the king may land on the corner squares.
- A piece other than the king is captured when it is surrounded orthogonally on two opposite squares by enemies.
The king can take part in captures.
- A piece may also be captured between an enemy and empty corner square.
|King may land on the center squares
||King cannot land on the center squares
|King may be captured on two sides on all squares
- When in the central square, the king is captured by surrounding him on four orthogonal sides with attackers.
- When standing beside the central square, the king may be captured by surrounding him on the remaining three sides with attackers
- Elsewhere on the board, the king is captured as other pieces.
||A piece may also be captured between an enemy and the empty central square