Ard Ri meaning "High King" is a traditional Scottish tafl game.
Ard Ri is played on a board of 7x7 squares, with the central square and the corner squares marked.
There are 25 pieces: a king and his 9 defenders, and 16 attackers.
- The defending side takes the first move.
- Pieces move one square orthogonally, not landing on other pieces on the board.
- No piece may land on the central square.
- Only the king may land on the corner squares.
- To capture the King the player must surround it on all four sides
- The king can take part in captures.
- A piece may also be captured between an enemy and the empty central square or a corner square.
If a player has no further move that player loses the game.
- The king wins the game by moving the King to the perimeter of the board.
- The attackers win if they capture the king